In our modern society, more and more of us are becoming isolated. In many ways, we are less ‘alone’ than ever before. Emails, messages, and other notifications are pinging away on our phones twenty-four-seven. Still, in this post covid world, fewer and fewer of us are meeting up with friends, colleagues and family in person. This isolation means physical touch is on the decline, and therapies that treat physical and mental tension are more crucial than ever.
Ayurveda is a holistic therapy that incorporates diet, meditation, massage and yoga. Ayurveda Massage uses essential oils and focuses on seven powerful energy points in the body known as Chakras. The massage itself is often quite gentle for those used to deep tissue and sports massage. The purpose of the movements is to stimulate blood flow and energy to each of the seven areas, so don’t expect any back cracking or painful massaging of very tight muscles.
What Are The Seven Chakras?
Each Chakra has a particular location, colour and specific function. Let’s examine the seven points and learn how they affect the body.
- Root Chakra – Red – The Base of The Spine: The Root Chakra is responsible for movement, balance and trust. Massaging the root chakra can help with anxiety and tension.
- Sacral Chakra – Orange – Lower Abdomen/Navel: The Sacral Chakra is responsible for our creative and sexual energies. Tantric Massage treatment of the sacral chakra can help with repressed emotions and sexual dysfunction.
- Solar Plexus Chakra – Yellow – Below the Rib Cage: Responsible for self-esteem, wisdom and willpower.
- Heart Chakra – Green – Responsible For Love: Benefits relationships, self-worth and discipline.
- Throat Chakra – Blue – Located at the base of the throat: Treatment here can help with the communication of ideas.
- Third Eye Chakra – Indigo – Between the eyes/Forehead: Massage of the third eye can help improve your intuition and awareness.
- Crown Chakra – Violet – Top of the head: Releasing tension in the crown chakra can help with a lack of faith, spirituality, and cynicism.
What Are The Benefits Of Chakra Massage?
As you can see from our list, each one of the Chakra can benefit different areas of the body or mind. A complete Ayurveda treatment will focus on each chakra methodically, thereby treating the system as a whole, but it is beneficial to understand the significance of each one.
Essential Oils For Ayurveda Massage
The use of essential oils is key to an authentic Ayurveda experience. Like in aromatherapy treatments, selecting a particular oil depends on the client’s needs. Some oils can affect people in different ways, so it is always essential to consult with a massage professional if you have any allergies or skin sensitivities. Here are a few of the most popular oils used in massage treatments:
- Lavender Oil – Lavender oils can help with stress relief and sleep.
- Bergamot Oil – Helps with inflammation, pain relief and stress. I have always found that bergamot gives me the most blissful, deep sleep.
- Chamomile Oil – Anxiety Relief – Chamomile can also help with digestive issues such as IBS and Indigestion.
- Jasmine Oil – A powerful aphrodisiac – Next time you set the scene for a romantic massage, incorporate a drop or two of jasmine oil. You can thank us later!
- Orange Oil – Mood lifting, stress lowering. Orange or other citrus oils may not sound as fancy as Ylang Ylang or Cedarwood, but the benefits are powerful and well-proven. There is a reason all washing-up liquids or dishwasher products have citrus as their original scent.
So, there you have it. Ayurveda massage can be incredibly powerful and especially beneficial if you feel disconnected from the world and other people. You can begin experimenting with essential oils at home to see which ones resonate best. Always look for reputable providers and authentic oils when booking a massage.