Letting go of someone or something is rarely easy.
Most of us hold on much longer than we should, hoping things will get better or the person will change.
It doesn’t often happen that you get a clear sign from the universe telling you it’s time to skedaddle.
And even if that did happen, turning around and taking that first step is pretty daunting.
Are you in a situation where you suspect it’s time (or past time) to walk away, but perhaps you’re having trouble?
If so, then the walk-away quotes below are calling your name.
75 Walking Away Quotes to Inspire That First Step
Okay, take a deep breath. You can do this. Sure, it may be painful for a while, but you know letting go and leaving is the best thing for your mental health.
Read through our carefully curated list of quotes about walking away.
You’re in there somewhere – reflecting the situation you happen to be in right now.
Whether you’re looking for positive walk-away quotes or walking away from love quotes, we’ve considered it all in our thorough list.
These words were written to stiffen your backbone and give you the resolve to do what must be done.
1. “Trust yourself and walk away from situations and people that don’t have your best interest at heart.” – Ben Ruston
3. “Observe the behavior of the butterfly, and chase no one, for they will only elude you.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson
4. “Life is too short for unreality and you don’t owe anybody anything – especially your time, energy, and attention.” ― Oli Anderson
5. “In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you.”―Gautama Buddha
6. “Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it.”―Ann Lander
7. “The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, and forgetting that you are special too.” —Ernest Hemingway
9. “Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.”―Raymond Lindquist
10. “When they treat you unkind and attempt to ruin your day, Stop, pray and walk away (SPW)” ― Charmaine J. Forde
11. “Selfhood begins with a walking away, And love is proved in letting go.”―Cecil Day-Lewis
12. “Knowing when to walk away is wisdom. Being able to is courage. Walking away with grace, and your head held high is dignity.”―Ritu Ghatourey
14. “Not knowing whether to wait, walk away, or try harder is a beautiful feeling. You live, die, and born again all at the same time.” ― Sarvesh Jain
15.” Once you realize you deserve a bright future, letting go of your dark past is the best choice you will ever make.”―Roy T. Bennett
Strong Woman Walking Away Quotes
Any of the sad walking away quotes above can apply to women, but there are some words that just women need to hear. Here are some sayings for strong women to remind them they have the courage to move on when needed.
16. “A strong woman will automatically stop trying if she feels unwanted. She won’t fix it or beg. She’ll just walk away.” – Unknown
17. “Women will put up with a lot because they are strong, but push them too far, and a strong woman will leave without looking back.” – Barrie Davenport
18. “Strong women get tired. Strong women feel broken. Strong women eventually get fed up. Strong women will eventually walk away for good.” – Unknown
20. “She would rather walk alone in the darkness than follow anyone else’s shadow.” – R.G. Moon
22. “The easiest thing to do is stay, but I’ve never been one to accept the easy path. I have the strength to walk away.” – Unknown
23. “Strong women don’t have to think twice about letting go of someone toxic. Walking away is always their first instinct.” – Barrie Davenport
24. “I will never stay in a relationship with a man who resents my strength and power. A man who doesn’t respect who I am isn’t a man worth sticking around for.” – Unknown
25. “If they don’t chase you when you walk away, keep walking.” – OurMindfulLife.com
Are you feeling better? Stronger? Did any of these “know when to walk away” quotes speak directly to you and your life right now?
Don’t allow your courage to slip. If some part of you thinks it’s time to move on, and one or more of these quotes screamed, “Yep, that’s exactly how I feel,” then make your plan.
It’s hard, but sometimes you just have to walk away from a person or situation to maintain your sanity. And that comes first – always.